Sunday, March 12, 2006

unseasonably warm

The weekend was defined largely by the fantastic weather, warm even by DC standards: it was 75F / 24 C on Friday and Saturday, and a little cloudier & cooler (68F / 20C) on Sunday.

I broke my usual habit and joined some colleagues at a happy hour on Friday; I enjoyed the gin and tonic but the noise was such I couldn't really hear all that much, and frankly these days I have little enough to say about work. It's not the done thing at megacorp to admit that you don't care about advancement and I can see that people are starting to wonder why I've been at the same level for so long... not my problem, at any rate.

We took the girls to the Air and Space Museum on Saturday (L's request) and they both had a good wander around. R and I were noticing that there's been a lot more added about wartime aviation, with archive footage, which makes for sections you didn't really want your small children to see, but they were largely oblivous. We also went to the carousel there, and while I didn't manage to get my inaugural sunburn of the season, I did manage to get a pinkish preview. More park visiting in the afternoon, and then later R and I watched a good chunk of Buena Vista Social Club, which was reasonably interesting.

Sunday brought a trip to the zoo, with highlights being the orangutans actually using the overhead wires between buildings (never seen that before), as well as the lions atypically being up and about. Rr caught site of a giraffe for the first time, and was captivated by the pygmy hippos. L, in the meantime, enjoyed watching the adolescent elephant get a bath and eat some bamboo. As usual I was marvelling about the mobile human exhibits. I did manage to catch a delayed broadcast of the Manchester United - Newcastle game and was struck by two things: the snow, and Rooney's second goal. We took the girls to see their great-grandparents, and they did much that was charming... which was nice.

And here I am updating iTunes and doing some light bloggging. From the ridiculous to the sublime.