Monday, March 06, 2006

another weekend

So, another weekend gone by. We had much the usual train of events -- Saturday swimming lesson, hang out with friends, nap, entertain ourselves, then a small variation: R and I went out to dinner with two other couples. An evening away from the inmates!

We went to a small French restaurant built into an old house, which was a nice change of pace. The food was good, bordering on but not quite excellent, the service was phenomenal, and the company was good. The music was frightful however, really bad late 80s and 90s schmaltz. The bad phase kicked off with "more than words" by hair band Extreme and went downhill from there; at some point they switched CDs but all I remember is that at some point it stopped hurting.

It was funny trying to get a handle on what to talk about at dinner other than children. I remain convinced that I have become entirely boring, with the accompanying fear that perhaps there's no element of "becoming" about it -- just a final acceptance of what's always been true! It is exacerbated by the fact that I don't have a lot of interests (in the sense of hobbies etc.) in common with our friends, so I always enjoy seeing them but can run a little short on conversational topics that aren't cripplingly generic, especially if I haven't thought ahead! I may have to go back to reading just to keep something interesting in the proverbial hip pocket.

Sunday we got a couple of odds and ends at Ikea, which occupies -- for some reason -- a position of great importance for Miss L. She was happy to go, anyway. We also returned a kindess -- some friends who had come by for a visit just after Rr was born, on a day when we really needed the distraction, had their second child a couple of weeks ago, so we went over there with enough food for dinner and a lot of leftovers; L and their older daughter ran around like loonies while Rr tried to keep up...