"philosopher"
I was getting a coffee at one of the coffee stands in the "campus" this morning and some blowhard was making a joke about how all people are driven to react against a basic fear of three inevitabilies in life: death, decay, and something else.
That might have been amusingly negative if he hadn't then brayed that he really would have liked to be a philosopher and investigate and explain life's mysteries, but decided to become a consultant instead -- and he *wasn't* joking. [The vast majority of my fellow borg-employees don't do irony, in case you were wondering.]
Anyway, I am suspicious of any unitary theory of why people do what they do. Well, except for my basic misanthropy about people in groups of more than about 25, which is usually a bad idea.
I suppose I might fear death and decay if I paused to think about it, but what's the point? I could be killed commuting tomorrow, I could be blown up while downtown at a meeting (unlikely, but not impossible) and if I were reacting to that, I'd suggest to the missus that we stop joking about starting an organic tofu co-operative in Vermont, and make it happen.
I can't believe I'm wasting brain and blog space on this. Back to work!
That might have been amusingly negative if he hadn't then brayed that he really would have liked to be a philosopher and investigate and explain life's mysteries, but decided to become a consultant instead -- and he *wasn't* joking. [The vast majority of my fellow borg-employees don't do irony, in case you were wondering.]
Anyway, I am suspicious of any unitary theory of why people do what they do. Well, except for my basic misanthropy about people in groups of more than about 25, which is usually a bad idea.
I suppose I might fear death and decay if I paused to think about it, but what's the point? I could be killed commuting tomorrow, I could be blown up while downtown at a meeting (unlikely, but not impossible) and if I were reacting to that, I'd suggest to the missus that we stop joking about starting an organic tofu co-operative in Vermont, and make it happen.
I can't believe I'm wasting brain and blog space on this. Back to work!

<< Home