Tuesday, February 28, 2006

bad dinner companion

I worked all day Sunday, and then a good portion of the evening -- well, specifically 9 - 1.30 a.m. also. This meant having to skip plans to take R out for dinner.

I thought I would make amends last night by taking her out for sushi, but I was so brain dead after 3 hours of sleep and more meetings and nonsense during the day, that I am afraid I was rather a bad dinner companion.

Fortunately my less than sparkling conversation was covered by our joint amazement at the blowhard at the table next to us... some sort of local theater type, who had been involved in a film that's being shot in the area about George Washington. We'd actually heard about it because our neighbours across the street own a small farm in Sharpsburg, Maryland and it had been used for some filming... I hasten to add that he was not boorish, was polite to the staff, etc., it was more that he claimed authority for the table and never shut up.

Anyway, this guy had a very resonant voice and it was very difficult to tune him out, especially when it was taking me 3 minutes to compose an answer to a simple question like "do you want to go somewhere for a summer vacation?"