Tuesday, March 07, 2006

sniffles and tunes

One of the quirkier results of moving to DC has been discovering the joy of allergies. Once you get south of the Mason - Dixon line, there's a completely different set of flora from New England, where we were before. It took an embarrassing number of springs before I realized that I wasn't getting an annual sinus infection, it was allergies. Probably dogwoods, but what do I know.

Anyway, it's very common for people to move to DC and have the same experience that I did. R, of course, went the opposite direction, and has had a fraction of the trouble with allergies that she experienced as a child in the Midwest and then later in New England...

Why mention this? Why, because I am typing one-handed while I use the other hand to keep my face from blowing open. Spring is starting to spring here and the trees are starting to bud, so it's sinus city for the next few days. Urgh.

I felt so crap earlier I took my temperature to see if I could devise any excuse to skip a client meeting tomorrow morning, scheduled to start at 8.30, but I couldn't even get to a normal reading on the thermometer. I asked R if that seemed like a good reason to call in sick and she just laughed (at me).

so far, I haven't even touched the stack of CDs that arrived from Amazon today, the result (mostly) of a trawl through the sales selection. R doubts that this specific combination has been sold too many times, but that's one of the few pieces of data that their site won't give you...

Should you be interested, dear reader, the CDs are as follows:

Whatever People Say I Am Thats What I Am Not - Arctic Monkeys

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Singles 81>85 - Depeche Mode

Weezer - Weezer

It Serves You Right to Suffer - John Lee Hooker

Singles Going Steady - Buzzcocks

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John (for the same reason I own the best of Abba: childhood programming winning out)

Jazz for Kids: Sing, Clap, Wiggle and Shake - Various Artists -- because we have a real incentive to keep L's music supply refreshed...