Tuesday, March 28, 2006

miscellany

One thing I like about March and early April is the proliferation of matzoh in the house. Yum.

I've been wasting time with getting my car through DC inspection -- they won't approve it until they can connect their OBD (on board diagnostic) equipment, and the connector on my car wouldn't match to their equipment... aaargh. However, the dealer that relieved me of airfare for 4 to the UK on repairs in November solved the problem gratis, so hooray. (Hopefully the next trip to the inspection station will be the last... because I have 2 days before the registration lapses. Urgh.)

I bought the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah CD without listening to any samples. That was a mistake.

The (English) guy in the office next to mine was taunting me yesterday because he had tickets to the Arctic Monkeys show and I botched it. There was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago about how their US record company was trying to discourage advance plays / hype, since that usually puts people off UK bands (NME has some form here).

It might have been too successful, because their first-week sales were only about 1/10 of the UK first week sales. And now VH1 is using "I bet you look good on the dance floor" as backing music to a promotion for some fashion show; a sure sign that the hipsters will pass this by, and their music will now be used by people who put music to sports highlights etc. Which is too bad.

It's starting to warm up outside, but my office is still a crisp 58 F / 14 C every morning. Still, when it's already 90 F / 32 C by 9 a.m. in August, this will seem like a good thing, I suppose.