Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Bourne Supremacy

After an embarrassingly long period following its arrival from Netflix, we got around to watching The Bourne Supremacy last weekend. It got a thumbs-up from both people on the couch. Some of the action scenes were cut so quickly that it was hard to keep track of what was going on, but the pacing and the general narrative progression were just right for that kind of film.

R appreciated the element of quick-wittedness and creativity in the mayhem -- using a broken gas main and a magazine in a toaster as a trigger for an explosion, for instance -- in place of buckets of fake blood. I appreciated the effort that went into doing a car chase featuring a Lada in Moscow (or substitute), and plot twists sufficiently obvious that I can keep up. (I like to maintain a child-like suspension of analytical faculties during a film.)

I wasn't entirely convinced by the closing mea culpa scene to the Russian teenager, but this wasn't high art, so there you have it.

Overall, a good Saturday night smash-em-up flick.