Friday, March 24, 2006

why I don't watch many films

Last night I put on the television to clear the brain for a few minutes and let myself get sucked into some 12 year old film called With Honors . You can follow the link for a detailed plot summary, but the short version is Joe Pesci as a homeless man with asbestosis teaches Harvard student Brendan Fraser (!) the value of independent thinking, while resolving his issues over abandoning his own son...

It's not that the film was truly suck-tastic, like Contact -- I'm still bitter about wasting those two hours, nearly 10 years later. It's just that the film was slow paced because they really didn't have that much to say, it was ridden with cliches, and had intermittent opportunities for pathos. I couldn't believe how relentlessly average it was. It's a reminder that, while there are plenty of films to watch, many many many of them are not worth it.

On which positive note, next up on from Netflix:

-- The Year of Living Dangerously
-- Cool Hand Luke
-- U2: Live at Slane Castle (I think I may have been reading too much from Kimbofo and Melody.)