Thursday, October 27, 2005

What's that noise?

The above is the question plainly on the minds of people as I drive by in my chariot.

My 9 year old Audi is starting to make dying Messerschmit noises, but not for any obvious reasons. I sense a large repair bill ahead, inasmuch as there is no other kind at this stage in a car's operational life.

More in hope than expectation, I decided to make a short list of new-car requirements -- just in case, can't be too prepared, etc. The requirements are:

1) manual transmission
2) ability to plug in iPod
3) side air bags / general passive safety standard sufficient for service as back-up child transport
4) disc brakes all round (less common than you might think)

Not terribly ambitious. I left off the list things too fundamental or obvious to mention (wheels, engine, air conditioning). Safety would be less of a concern if it were just for me; insurance means that I am -- financially speaking -- worth more dead than alive, like most fathers I know.

However, I should have witheld the mental effort until after having checked the trade-in value of the Audi. It's now decidely reached the point of not being worth the trouble to trade in on a new (or even just new-to-me) car.

I think the Teutonic swine-car somehow knew that, and took it as the cue to start to act up. Just as long as it's not in cahoots with CW over an insurance claim...