Absolutely the last thing on USC - Notre Dame
There's not really all that much that's interesting to say about the upcoming USC - Washington game, so what to write about... what to write about... oh of course. But, I promise, no more on "The Game of the Century" after these items:
Darn that Charlie Weis
The annual process of getting riled up about the USC - ND rivalry was more of a challenge than usual this year, thanks to ND coach Charlie Weis.
The man grants the wish of a dying child under disadvantageous circumstances. He congratulates his team's arch-rival after a heart-breaker of a loss.He even refuses to get pissy about the so-called "Bush Push."
My brother, an Oregon alum, finally put his finger on it: "Charlie Weis is refusing to piss me off...and that is pissing me off."
So that's the ploy. Cunning. Very cunning.
Pass the Ball
I had wondered during the game by Notre Dame wasn't passing the ball more, as they were having some success disrupting and stopping USC's offense. Evidently I wasn't the only one, although I think "blew it" might be too harsh a judgement. They were still within 90 seconds and two improbable plays of winning.
Matt Leinart Not Ready for NFL
This article in Slate about how Matt Leinart is not well suited to the NFL is just silly. Go ask Detroit or Baltimore if they wouldn't like to have him play. I especially liked the knock on his ability to get moving out of the pocket. He might not be a Michael Vick, but he's no Rob Johnson, and Johnson played for years. Feh.
Wait Until Next Year
I spent some time reading the Notre Dame football blog Blue Gray Sky. It's mostly pretty rational, very data driven, for the reasonable fan (if there really is such a thing). They get full marks for their exchange with Boi from Troy , but they really go for the gusto in the middle of a post heavily oriented towards performance statistics -- by deliberately out-doing Beano Cook and predicting both a Notre Dame win and a Brady Quinn Hesiman trophy next season. That's the spirit.
The Agony of Defeat
I saw this link on both Student Body Right and The Blue Gray Sky, which is amusing. It's two cell phone videos taken from the Notre Dame student section -- the first when they thought they had won after Leinart was tackled short of the end zone, and the second after USC scored with three seconds left in the game. Schadenfreude aside, it's a true "you are there" view that television can't provide.
Darn that Charlie Weis
The annual process of getting riled up about the USC - ND rivalry was more of a challenge than usual this year, thanks to ND coach Charlie Weis.
The man grants the wish of a dying child under disadvantageous circumstances. He congratulates his team's arch-rival after a heart-breaker of a loss.He even refuses to get pissy about the so-called "Bush Push."
My brother, an Oregon alum, finally put his finger on it: "Charlie Weis is refusing to piss me off...and that is pissing me off."
So that's the ploy. Cunning. Very cunning.
Pass the Ball
I had wondered during the game by Notre Dame wasn't passing the ball more, as they were having some success disrupting and stopping USC's offense. Evidently I wasn't the only one, although I think "blew it" might be too harsh a judgement. They were still within 90 seconds and two improbable plays of winning.
Matt Leinart Not Ready for NFL
This article in Slate about how Matt Leinart is not well suited to the NFL is just silly. Go ask Detroit or Baltimore if they wouldn't like to have him play. I especially liked the knock on his ability to get moving out of the pocket. He might not be a Michael Vick, but he's no Rob Johnson, and Johnson played for years. Feh.
Wait Until Next Year
I spent some time reading the Notre Dame football blog Blue Gray Sky. It's mostly pretty rational, very data driven, for the reasonable fan (if there really is such a thing). They get full marks for their exchange with Boi from Troy , but they really go for the gusto in the middle of a post heavily oriented towards performance statistics -- by deliberately out-doing Beano Cook and predicting both a Notre Dame win and a Brady Quinn Hesiman trophy next season. That's the spirit.
The Agony of Defeat
I saw this link on both Student Body Right and The Blue Gray Sky, which is amusing. It's two cell phone videos taken from the Notre Dame student section -- the first when they thought they had won after Leinart was tackled short of the end zone, and the second after USC scored with three seconds left in the game. Schadenfreude aside, it's a true "you are there" view that television can't provide.

<< Home