Wednesday, October 19, 2005

USC 34 - ND 31

Holy moly... what a game. I genuinely thought that SC had lost it. To try and preserve some cardiac health with the onset of the fourth quarter, I was upstairs dealing with getting CG1 and CG2 off to bed, and my cell phone buzzed with the text of ND going up 31 - 28.

That was surely it. I figured that SC had maybe 2 - 3 minutes left. There was a long silence, even for 4th quarter standards, so I shot downstairs, powered up the TV, and there was SC lining up at the ND 13.

Seconds later, CG1 joined me on the couch, and she nearly had a cardiac episode when -- on seeing Leinart collapse into the end zone -- I somehow managed to hit a 4 foot vertical from a seated position from said couch. Good thing I landed feet down on the floor; the energy transfer of a couch landing might have catapulted her out a window...

So what if anything have I learned from all of this?

Firstly, I need to get a grip, although I am a long way from being as badly off as the people actually at the game.

After that: well, I already thought that SC wasn't the team that they were last year, so that wasn't a surprise.

But I think that the following became clear:

1) Notre Dame is very good this year, and they are coached to perfection.
2) It requires more than 4" turf to slow down Reggie Bush (I'm not saying it was a sin of commission, but I wonder if the groundskeepers had found themselves with urgent business in... say... Costa Rica.)
3) USC is going to have some interesting times next season: instead of alternating years of rebuilding offense and defense, they are going to have to do both.
4) Well, that might be it, actually.

I am told by colleagues who didn't have a stake in the game that it made for good viewing. I was too busy having kittens to tell.