Monday, October 17, 2005

Brief Reader's Guide

The Blog Name, Explained

I am a Scottish ex-pat / naturalized American citizen, who grew up primarily in Holland and California. I don't quite fit anywhere I go, so I thought something like "neither fish nor fowl" or "neither here nor there" might work. Perhaps if I had started five years ago; all those types of names were taken. Anyway, "och aye" (as in a traditional Scottish form of agreement) was available, and as good as anything else.

Blogging Under a Pseudonym

Notwithstanding this sound advice on blogging, I don't see the need to establish myself as an identifiable authority on anything other than my own navel. Also, the missus is very private and I don't want to antagonize her. Neither would you, she's very sweet until crossed. I don't plan to have too much family-related content as a result.

Therefore, if you see the initials "CW" they refer to "Charming Wife." Any reference to CG1 and CG2, correspondingly, means "charming girl one" and charming girl two," since our two daughters are too young to care if they are rendered anonymous thusly. Far too unwieldy. The revised approach is: R for the missus, L for the older girl, and Rr for the baby, since having two females in the house with the first initial R has to be resolved somehow.

There we are. Hope you enjoy it.