Doves and Elvis
Quite often I will buy a CD that I expect to like and find that for the first few listens, it's just not that compelling. Generally, if I put it aside for a while -- up to 2 years in one or two cases -- and go back without the weight of expectation, I like the album more.
Which was the spirit in which I was listening to "Some Cities" by Doves, this morning. I had bought the album immediately on release, based on how much I had enjoyed "Lost Souls" and "The Last Broadcast." The Phil-Spector-wall-of sound vibe didn't do anything for me at the time however.
This morning I was enjoying the album much more until I got to track 6, "Walk in the Fire." It reminded me of another song but for the life of me I couldn't remember which one.
I had got no further on the association until about the same time I finished getting CG1 tucked into bed -- a flash of memory of a Fine Young Cannibals song that was an Elvis cover... one quick trawl through the iTunes store later, I am able to report that the similarity I thought I heard was to the guitar in Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley.
At least I can now clear one useless problem from taking up brain space.
Which was the spirit in which I was listening to "Some Cities" by Doves, this morning. I had bought the album immediately on release, based on how much I had enjoyed "Lost Souls" and "The Last Broadcast." The Phil-Spector-wall-of sound vibe didn't do anything for me at the time however.
This morning I was enjoying the album much more until I got to track 6, "Walk in the Fire." It reminded me of another song but for the life of me I couldn't remember which one.
I had got no further on the association until about the same time I finished getting CG1 tucked into bed -- a flash of memory of a Fine Young Cannibals song that was an Elvis cover... one quick trawl through the iTunes store later, I am able to report that the similarity I thought I heard was to the guitar in Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley.
At least I can now clear one useless problem from taking up brain space.

<< Home