Tuesday, September 19, 2006

work

Not impressed with new even-more-megacorp. I don't expect altruistic or charitable behaviour from people, but when I can't get any headway on projects because people refuse to see past their narrow role and immediate interest to the bigger picture, and complain because they aren't getting their specific problem solved, how the hell am I to make any headway...

Likewise, when I find an accounting discrepancy with no supporting data, to the disdvantage of my project - because the asinine way they've structured the interaction of the corporate ledger and the federal labor accounting system almost guarantees data entry mistakes - the correct response is not to tell me that I've made a mistake and I should just cut my remaining budget by 30% because the system says so...

And when I tell you that we're running out of budget, your primary work is out of scope, and you need to focus on the original goal of the project, the correct answer is not to tell me that you're going to cut back on the original goal of the project and work on the stuff that you think is more interesting.

I thought that old megacorp was chaotic but this place is pitiful. However, since there are apparently no consequences for failing to comply with anything, perhaps I should stop worrying about it.

Harrumph. Our Christmas trip to California can't some soon enough.