Deliberately light posting
I've been making a conscious effort lately to avoid posting for it's own sake. I've been busy at work and spending some time thinking about how to make some improvements on the domestic front (reducing household chaos) and the personal front (losing some weight and deciding what gets ditched so I can get some exercise). Nothing earth-shattering, and equally not all that interesting.
So here's an omnibus post about what's been happening in the meantime...
*******
Work: Eh. Even-more-megacorp is not doing well, and at just past the 6 week mark I can certainly see why -- chaotic management and a company culture where people don't follow through, or ignore management direction, or do whatever they want regardless of processes etc., and apparently without consequences. The downside for me is I am in a position where I will get caught periodically in management cross-fire. I'd be less concerned about any of this if it looked like there was any work coming down the pike of the variety that I specifically came here to do.... Still, early days yet, so no panic.
*******
Vehicles: at the last minute, R cracked at the prospect of owning a minivan. And by last minute, I mean that I was about to walk out the door to drop my car off as a trade-in and come back with the van, having agreed on price etc. earlier in the day. I knew that there was trouble when I was walking out the door and her commentary boiled down to,"I don't know about this.... I don't know about this..." Anyway, I took the view that it was all right to drop it, but that there would be no further discussions about minivans / grumbling about ride-sharing for at least 3 months. And in the meantime, it's become clear that my car is effectively worthless for trade-in purposes so I might as well drive it until it stops.
*******
Retail morons: I went to get a new cover for my jazzy new iPod, and took L to an Apple store over in Virginia to give R a break. That was my first mistake, the mall and the store were packed and we wasted about 10 minutes waiting at a central bank of registers before some 20 year old with a bad attitude condescended to tell me that the line was to start on the other side... after, mind you, I had been waiting patiently with several other people and thought I was next. So I pointed out that this was an unclear setup and I didn't appreciate being left out to dry; he ignored me, so I went up, put my face 2 feet from his, said "excuse me" so he looked up, repeated myself, put down the iPod case, and left.
Since we still had time to kill, we went to another mall / Apple store, back over in Maryland, and it couldn't have been more different. I stood in line for perhaps 42 seconds before a very pleasant young lady opened a register; she took the time to ask if I wanted an electronic receipt sent to the email on record, and was generally very polite. So I told her that she was doing a great job and that they needed her in the Tyson's Corner store, and to her great credit she actually aplogized on behalf on the little f**ker at the other store...
I know I'm not the only person who's run into this; apparently the hiring strategy at these places runs to getting smug little bastards who only want the employee discount, couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery, and genuinely believe that they are geniuses.
So here's an omnibus post about what's been happening in the meantime...
*******
Work: Eh. Even-more-megacorp is not doing well, and at just past the 6 week mark I can certainly see why -- chaotic management and a company culture where people don't follow through, or ignore management direction, or do whatever they want regardless of processes etc., and apparently without consequences. The downside for me is I am in a position where I will get caught periodically in management cross-fire. I'd be less concerned about any of this if it looked like there was any work coming down the pike of the variety that I specifically came here to do.... Still, early days yet, so no panic.
*******
Vehicles: at the last minute, R cracked at the prospect of owning a minivan. And by last minute, I mean that I was about to walk out the door to drop my car off as a trade-in and come back with the van, having agreed on price etc. earlier in the day. I knew that there was trouble when I was walking out the door and her commentary boiled down to,"I don't know about this.... I don't know about this..." Anyway, I took the view that it was all right to drop it, but that there would be no further discussions about minivans / grumbling about ride-sharing for at least 3 months. And in the meantime, it's become clear that my car is effectively worthless for trade-in purposes so I might as well drive it until it stops.
*******
Retail morons: I went to get a new cover for my jazzy new iPod, and took L to an Apple store over in Virginia to give R a break. That was my first mistake, the mall and the store were packed and we wasted about 10 minutes waiting at a central bank of registers before some 20 year old with a bad attitude condescended to tell me that the line was to start on the other side... after, mind you, I had been waiting patiently with several other people and thought I was next. So I pointed out that this was an unclear setup and I didn't appreciate being left out to dry; he ignored me, so I went up, put my face 2 feet from his, said "excuse me" so he looked up, repeated myself, put down the iPod case, and left.
Since we still had time to kill, we went to another mall / Apple store, back over in Maryland, and it couldn't have been more different. I stood in line for perhaps 42 seconds before a very pleasant young lady opened a register; she took the time to ask if I wanted an electronic receipt sent to the email on record, and was generally very polite. So I told her that she was doing a great job and that they needed her in the Tyson's Corner store, and to her great credit she actually aplogized on behalf on the little f**ker at the other store...
I know I'm not the only person who's run into this; apparently the hiring strategy at these places runs to getting smug little bastards who only want the employee discount, couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery, and genuinely believe that they are geniuses.

<< Home