Monday, August 28, 2006

iPod's demise

A small consumer-electronics crisis emerged at Casa Och-Aye on Friday: my not-yet-2-year-old iPod gave up the ghost. It was emitting a small and unhealthy whine when prompted to start, followed by a clunk, repeated twice again, and then silence.

I quickly moved past denial and anger (how hard could it be to build a hard drive that lasts longer than 20 months?) to acceptance of the (perceived) need to replace said iPod. I've given Apple another chance, and bought my third: this one a 30GB Gen5 model... For once I showed some common sense and didn't fall prey to thinking that I really needed the extra 30GB - because I don't.

Anyway, it's all very colorful and I was glad to have something to listen during the morning commute. I just tell myself that the labor cost that I am avoiding by not having to make mix tapes (as my car has no CD player) offsets the cost of the iPod in no time. So there.