Tuesday, August 22, 2006

quiet, vehicles

A quiet weekend, which I finished off with some mysterious 24 hour bug yesterday but a fair bit of sleep did the trick... can't really complain about that.

I've been working this evening and taking breaks to do things around the house, order tickets to a soccer (football) game on Saturday, etc.

The football game should be at least moderately interesting... I went to a DC United game last year with some other dads that I know; we thought we'd try again this year but wait for the after-affects of the World Cup to wear off, since the standard is a bit...lower. Not bad, just not great. One thing has lead to another, and now there are 14 people going. Since there's to be a 6 year old in the mix, I suppose I shall have to watch my language.

As for vehicles (mentioned in the subject line), I've been tying myself in knots working through the various alternatives about replacing my car, which has started acting up again. Ten year old Audis are a bad choice for keeping repair bills low. So, the central dilemma has become: is this the point at which we give in and buy a minivan?

They're bulky eyesores, but L has reached an age where she and her friends are starting to have "play dates" without specifically having a parent in tow... and there's more noise about ride-sharing. R is torn between not wanting a shed on wheels, and wanting to get in on ride-sharing and so on...

In any case, R and I had a somewhat tense conversation on Friday wherein it became clear that she thought that I should just get another banger and wait and see what happens on the moving front in the spring, so that we wouldn't be paying to re-register a new car in Maryland, and I couldn't see the point in holding onto the pretence that we are not part of the problem of American energy usage...

Bear in mind that if we could get something like a Renault Scenic Gigantique, or whatever they're called, we probably would, but the nearest equivalent on sale here is a Mazda that tends to catch alight.

So no specific headway on that front, although I think R has realized that I might get something even more disastrous if I am sent out with a few grand and no restrictions on buying an "interesting" second hand car. An Alfa, for instance. She's making noises about at least looking at a couple of vans... and so it begins.