something other than work
My posts lately have mostly been about work; that's what I've been doing. The end of this phase of the task is, effectively, Wednesday, and then I can start to work on 1) what's next, and 2) getting staff support for what's next. Which is good. But it's time to think about something other than work...
For instance: I spent a good portion of last week rolling my eyes about the news that VP Cheney can't tell an elderly lawyer from a quail, or so we are to believe. I was trading emails with a friend who does phsyical therapy for the aged and her take was this:
Perhaps some of my 7.5 readers are more politically conservative, and find this mockery distasteful. Well, I'll admit it's easy to mock; that's why it's my sole remaining hobby. And frankly, the repercussions of losing readers with my hit rate is only significant if expressed as a percentage. So while I would miss you, I'll be brave and keep on.
For instance: I spent a good portion of last week rolling my eyes about the news that VP Cheney can't tell an elderly lawyer from a quail, or so we are to believe. I was trading emails with a friend who does phsyical therapy for the aged and her take was this:
I'm sure that you wouldn't choose to go shooting with geriatric cohorts. Really, why would anyone? And, if a man has a heart condition and he has to travel with a nurse and doctor to treat said heart condition, should he REALLY be handling a gun? I'm in the NO camp.This implies that perhaps physical frailty was the cause. I was forced to suggest that she was missing the overall point:
that was no accident. This is the price you pay for refusing to up the ante for contributions in a mid-term election year. Wealthy old gun owners have been warned.It's probably not true but it's less depressing than other explanations (Cheney was plastered, Cheney was trying to shoot a farm-raised quail that was still on the ground, Cheney was plastered AND trying to shoot a farm-raised quail that was still on the ground, etc.)
As for the shooting / heart condition, I have it on good authority that Cheney's shotgun has a small device that generates electrical charges from each shot and delivers a quick boost to the old ticker. In the event that he doesn't need said boost, he can then shoot, from his hands, streams of electricity a la Emperor Palpatine in Revenge of the Jedi. Plainly, he had just had a cardiac episode and was reduced to shooting the unfortuntate victim as opposed to delivering excruciating electrical shocks...
Perhaps some of my 7.5 readers are more politically conservative, and find this mockery distasteful. Well, I'll admit it's easy to mock; that's why it's my sole remaining hobby. And frankly, the repercussions of losing readers with my hit rate is only significant if expressed as a percentage. So while I would miss you, I'll be brave and keep on.

<< Home