Monday, February 13, 2006

Olympics

I've been more engaged in the Olympics than I expected. I enjoyed the surreal nature of the opening ceremonies. I was switching over to watch Run Lola Run and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels at the beginning of the opening ceremonies but gradually gave up on the films.

Some of my reactions to the ceremony:

-- interesting alpine dresses on the placard carriers
-- are women athletes better looking than they used to be? Did the Italians rig this for their team?
-- why oh why must we have symbolic displays? How sure are you that the climbers in the bondage gear are trying to represent a dove, o commentator?
-- whatever Sophia Loren is spending on plastic surgery, she's getting her money's worth
-- Ferrari F1 car doing donuts? Madness. Wonderful. But where's the arthritic 1.2 Panda?
-- From R: At least they have Pavarotti singing, even at this age he's better than that pretender Bocelli

As for Saturday, I had on the biathlon first thing in the morning: since the only outdoors activities for which I've ever shown any natural aptitude in are cross-country ski-ing and shooting, it's about the only event that I could actually dare to dream about -- not! I also grooved on the mens' 5000m speed-skating, a sure legacy of spending time in Holland as a child. Then Andrea Bocelli surfaced at a medals ceremony -- d'oh! R was right, it was only a matter of time before the second tier emerged...

And, for what it's worth, I was rather charmed by the Flying Tomato snowboarder being so choked up over winning a gold medal -- funny that a goofy teenage millionaire from California should be struck so strongly by an amateur-like Olympic spirit; I didn't think that existed in any of the money sports anymore.