Monday, November 14, 2005

Time to Move?

Life in the Big City, Part 1: I got home a little late on Friday, which was causing a little friction because I also had the carry out for dinner. R heard the neighbours' dog barking as I came up the front steps, so she opened the door -- thereby startling the rat that was trying to steal food from a bag the babysitter had left on the porch.

The rat rounded the corner from the steps only to see me heading straight at him, and so disappeared under the porch to hide out.

Usually we see a strict segregation in our rodents: the squirrels steal things from the porch, and the rats confine themselves to the back alley where the garbage is kept. This is not an improvement.

Life in the Big City, Part 2: We were heading home from dinner with some friends on Saturday evening at about 7 when there was a huge bang at the side of the car. R and I initially thought maybe it was an acorn but when we got home, I found a nice dent and a couple of 1/2 inch scrapes just behind the passenger door.

This led me to conclude that someone had chucked something at the car, since there was no dent there before we left our friends' house. I was distinctly displeased, but mostly relieved that whatever it was hadn't hit a little to the left and up -- at the window right by L.

We called the non-emergency number for the local constabulary, mostly to suggest that they keep an eye on the street where it happened. Half an hour later, there are three police cars at the house, and two of the three officers spent 10 minutes trying to come up with reasons that nothing had happened -- out of their jurisdiction (no), happened earlier in the day (no), we hadn't seen anyone so we had no reason to think that something had been thrown (oh come on, it was dark), the dent wasn't consistent with something being thrown at the car (based on what standard handbook of damaged-caused-when-rock-hits-car-going-25-miles-per-hour, I can't imagine).

If they weren't going to do anything, why on earth did they burn the time of three officers to have them come over and tell me I was imagining things or better yet lying? Couldn't one officer have done the same thing? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. My tax dollars at work.