Monday, November 07, 2005

You're just noticing now?

I've been amused at the amount of hand-wringing in the English press about the emerging crisis of boring football this season. All I can think is, you just noticed for this season? Those of us who are treated to limited numbers of games via satellite etc. can reliably inform you that the mid-table mediocrity of the Premiership is no novelty. I've lost count of the number of games I have turned off during the past 5 years because there seemed to be a game of punting ping-pong substituting for football.

I can only assume that the sudden change in the Premiership from duopoly (Manchester United, Arsenal) to monopoly (Chelsea) is what triggered this angst... the final descent in other words from the pretence that the English premiere league is somehow more competitive that the Scottish one.

Incidentally, I did happen in on the Wigan - Portsmouth game just before Wigan's second goal, which was as nice as you might expect to see. Just goes to show the value of players who can manage space and complete passes on the ground to within +/- 15 yards (!)