Thursday, November 03, 2005

Not much in common with Harvard bookstore staff

Kimbofo had a post on ReadingMatters about a list of the 100 favourites of the Harvard Bookstore staff, of which she had hit 16. I took a look and could remember having read 16 also, but not the same ones...

  1. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
  2. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  3. The Catcher in The Rye, J.D. Salinger
  4. Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky
  5. Don Quixote, Cervantes
  6. Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
  7. London Fields, Amis
  8. Where the Wild Things Are, Sendak
  9. War and Peace, Tolstoy
  10. The Stranger, Camus
  11. Iliad, Homer
  12. Republic, Plato (portions)
  13. A Wrinkle in Time, L’Engle
  14. Aeneid, Virgil
  15. I, Claudius, Graves
  16. The Lost Continent, Bryson

I was tempted to include the Curious George book as I've been working through the series with CG1, but no. I also would like extra geek points for having read the Iliad and Aeneid in Latin in high school. (NEEEEEEEEEERD!)

I'd be interested to see a list of books on the list that people had abandoned after trying; mine is:

  1. On the Road, Kerouac
  2. Ulysses, Joyce
  3. Mao II, Delillo
  4. White Noise, Delillo