Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Super Furry-tastic

Pardon my starting this post with some adolescent hyperventilation:

OMG OMG OMFG that was an awesome concert.

Okay, I'm better now.

I think last night's Super Furry show was the best of the four that I have seen, the others being for Guerilla, Mwng, and Rings Around the World.

The starting video was hilarious (golf cart, slightly amended versions of the A-Team and Rocky themes, glow in the dark suits, magic!).

The performance itself was a bit more rock-star than usual. I couldn't tell you if it was the mix, the volume, the pace of playing, but it was intense and very very effective. This despite the fact that the band kept very still, probably to avoid lethal heat stroke under the glowing suits. (Presumably they all agreed to this? The drummer and the bass player never seem very happy about the stage show. Maybe they aren't extroverts.)

I was a little taken aback at how many songs I didn't recognize from the new album -- that is, most of the first half of the show -- but I really enjoyed them, even if it is a touch downtempo. Just haven't had the time to get really familiar with that album (work, children, and other petty distractions).

I was pleased that they started with International Language of Screaming, and that they included for Receptacle for the Respectable celery crunching from Gruf and footage of early 70's Black Sabbath during the rock god conclusion...

The first part of the show seemed short and that was okay, but the encore / second half -- something like 8 songs -- more than made up for it. I think I lost my voice shrieking along with "Do or Die" and the finale ear-splitting-take on "The Man Don't Give a F**k" introduced by video of Bush and Blair with intermittent superimposition of the words "All" "Governments" "Liars" "Murderers." I just don't get tired of that song.

This review of the NYC show has the track listing, and I absolutely agree with his contention that there is no band quite like SFA. Since my cell phone pictures were predictably crap (see below) here's a link to a photostream from someone who actually brought a camera.