Inspiration, frustration
I was downtown this morning for a meeting, and left at about noon to go back to the corporate mothership in the burbs. The client's office is right near the World Bank, the IMF, a university, tons of organization -- only a block, actually, from the Old Executive Building, next door to the White House (you can practically hear the scheming).
Anyway, I had to walk to an ATM to get money to pay for parking, and was thinking that while my job can be interesting, there's nothing compelling about it, or in battering away at various deliverables in the burbs and sitting in traffic to get there and back... And that it would be cool to do something more interesting, and work in the city, and feel more like I actually live here in town.
And I was thinking about this again in the car, waiting at a red light, when a couple crossed the street in front of me, arm in arm. Not that I have any basis for saying it, but I thought they might be from somewhere in South America. She was very nattily dressed in a bright red coat which on a sunny winter day made for a welcome shot of colour. So, when they were trying to jay-walk in front of further down the block, I slowed and let them cross over, because somehow their natty style and embrace made the day seem a bit warmer.
As for the rest of the day, well there's nothing like inflexible deadlines, data that doesn't show up on time, people who don't deliver on their work components and act like it's your fault, and total mayhem with client infighting 10 days from a major planning milestone... Milestone, mill stone more like. By the time I got home, my energy was going mostly to not taking it out on the children by being snappy. It's not their fault.
I don't expect bliss at work, but this sucks.
Anyway, I had to walk to an ATM to get money to pay for parking, and was thinking that while my job can be interesting, there's nothing compelling about it, or in battering away at various deliverables in the burbs and sitting in traffic to get there and back... And that it would be cool to do something more interesting, and work in the city, and feel more like I actually live here in town.
And I was thinking about this again in the car, waiting at a red light, when a couple crossed the street in front of me, arm in arm. Not that I have any basis for saying it, but I thought they might be from somewhere in South America. She was very nattily dressed in a bright red coat which on a sunny winter day made for a welcome shot of colour. So, when they were trying to jay-walk in front of further down the block, I slowed and let them cross over, because somehow their natty style and embrace made the day seem a bit warmer.
As for the rest of the day, well there's nothing like inflexible deadlines, data that doesn't show up on time, people who don't deliver on their work components and act like it's your fault, and total mayhem with client infighting 10 days from a major planning milestone... Milestone, mill stone more like. By the time I got home, my energy was going mostly to not taking it out on the children by being snappy. It's not their fault.
I don't expect bliss at work, but this sucks.

<< Home