Thursday, January 26, 2006

good things

Instead of moaning about work, some small recognition for the inanimate objects in the house that are not in a conspiracy to thwart me -- I'm talking about you, digital camera, and your inability to focus on small children, and you, leaking coffee thermos, never mind the cash-guzzling bastard Audi outside. (Tip: when your instincts tell you to pass on a second hand, 10 year old German car, listen to them).

These items, instead, do what they claim on the tin, they just work, and the world would be a happier place if that were more often the case:

My old Italian hiking boots (bought in Edinburgh, 1993): cheap even at the time, completely low tech, visible wood in the soles, totally indestructible. Especially effective with Gore-tex socks and -- in deep snow -- gore-tex gaiters.

iPod: any further comment required? Turns a commute into a bright spot with choice entries from the back catalogue.

Barbour coat: not sexy, but waterproof, windproof, and slightly smelly. Rather like your correspondent.

Patagonia wind-proof fleece: toasty and indeed windproof; allows me to maintain a fluffy blue exterior through all but the worst of local winter.

3x5 cards and a moleskine folder: dorky, but at least now I only fail to get things done because I forgot to write them down in the first place.

Bic pens: cheap yet good to write with; I've bought pens costing exponentially more that didn't get the job done.

my wind-up watch and my "atomic" alarm clock: because the watch is a tactile and design delight, and the cheapo alarm clock, while completely useless as an alarm clock (impossible to tun off even if you are already awake), tells the actual time for setting the watch. And I have a near pathological need to have the correct time on the watch, not connected in any way to the odds of my actually being on time.

iGrafx process modelling software: even dorkier than the 3x5 cards and moleskine folder, but it's true: if you have to do any complex modelling on Visio and then get to make the switch to iGrafx, you'll see why I'm enthusiastic too.

Soy Vey sauce for cooking: turn bland leftovers into a stir-fried treat in 3 minutes. Mmmm good.

That's enough for now.