Sunday, January 01, 2006

Adios 2005

I had thought I might try a year in review meme like the one that Kirsty completed; but I didn't have the heart...

So here are some thoughts about the past year:

** L discovered that her parents have failings, not least of which is our cramping her style. But in between her 3 1/2 going on 13 tantrums, she has become a genuinely interesting child who really loves to be out with the people, any people. While I haven't been sad about her butting heads with us, beyond the hassle of being an enforcer, I am sad that she's starting to encounter cliques and basic playground sexism, which confuses and upsets her. I'm sad because there's a lot more of that to come.

** Rr has gone from being a floppy 2 week old to a charming 1 year old. She got over her reflux and milk allergies, and she even started sleeping. At night, anyway. She's a great wee girl and I am enjoying the fact that she's only using "no" when offered something she doesn't want to eat, because I know it won't last.

* R has been an absolute trooper with 2 kids, and has really started to reclaim some adult space in her life; that's a good thing.

* I've tried to make work more interesting and at least taken responsibility for not being miserable 40+ hours a week: I'm down to no more than 32. I am finally starting to make sure that I keep my doom-and-gloom side at work, where it's a "key job skill," and take more pleasure in the simple things at home. I've improved my patience with the children; my colleagues have benefited from that too.

Just as well something went better, because I'm still lardy and unfit, don't read or sleep enough, and don't get out for concerts enough. And the house is a pit. But there's always next year.