Friday, December 23, 2005

it was a good birthday

I had Thai food for lunch with R, without the children in tow, and we actually had a meal with no hassles and a conversation conducted in complete sentences.

L cracked and went to the princess party as a ballerina, but took her doctor's outfit along in case anyone needed medical attention. I stopped in to pick her up after getting a festive cutting of the hair, and the house was quite presentable -- in the sense that houses in Architectural Digest are quite presentable. I'm amazed they let their own children in it, far less anybody else's.

R and I did let ambition get the better of us and decided to go out en famille for Mexican food with two small children who hadn't napped in the afternoon. They were better behaved than they might have been but...

The only real blow of the day however: it's been cold lately, so I was looking forward to field-testing my jazzy new wind-proof fleece jacket. But like a kid on Christmas with a new bicycle looking at 8 inches of snow -- or more pertinently a kid with a new snowboard for Christmas in Los Angeles -- I was thwarted by temperatures around 55 F / 13 C. I tried wearing it out to dinner and nearly collapsed of the warmth...

Onwards to Christmas!