Wednesday, December 21, 2005

musical secrets I didn't know I had

During the past couple of months I've occasionally noted clusters of interesting songs on playlists on my iPod that are intended to keep me from listening to the same thing, over and over again. I haven't been making as much use of those lately, especially on Friday when my hellish drive home was occupied by the guilty pleasures of Van Halen's first album and 1984 and a single of "Everybody wants some." Ah, dumb-ass rock...

This morning, though, I was sufficiently horrified that I had "thank you for the music" by Abba stuck in my head, that I went into the Top 25 most played list to purge it with something recent.

I was expecting that the list would show up that I had been overdoing Kasabian and the Killers earlier in the year, and Super Furry Animals more recently, but I was frankly surprised at a couple of the other songs:

3. Stay with me, the Small Faces
4. Night Fever, the Bee Gees
7. Drop it like it's hot, Snoop Dogg and Pharrell
8. Intro (excerpt from Hana), Asa Chang and & Junray (from the John Peel Fabric.07 disc)
12. Light your ass on fire, Busta Rhymes and Pharrell
15. Going back to Cali, LL Cool J
24. Firestarter (edit), The Prodigy

I know that I was listening to the Fabric.07 disc a lot earlier in the year, but I genuinely don't remember hitting on those songs repeatedly. Strange.

BTW, the magical random list managed to sense my iffy mood on the commute home a few days ago and served up "Know your enemy" by Rage Against the Machine and "Sounds of the Suburbs" by the Members directly afterwards. Very good for catharsis and the irony of the latter describing the consumers of the former... to say nothing of Zack De La Rocha's provenance... was a happy extra coincidence.