Friday, December 30, 2005

Grumpy old so-and-so

My crap mood started last night. I forgot that R had put a bag of garbage on the front porch for me to take out to the bin. I was reminded at 2 a.m. when -- unable to sleep -- I had been reading the news on line, and heard a rustling on the porch. A hungry rat, as it turned out. The swine must be living under the porch. Great.

Predictably grumpy this morning, I was failing to get along with anyone in the house, which didn't bode well for my day off. Did I mention I'm taking the day off? I needed to get a repair estimate on R's car for some dents at a body shop near the office, so I decided to come into work briefly to print something out for an old colleague as it requires software he doesn't have.

Anyway, I was driving up the street and a squirrel was in the road, to the left side of the car. You can probably see where this is going; unfortunately the squirrel didn't and decided to break right. Usually I slow down for small animals while they make up their mind, this time I didn't bother and so of course the poor bugger got hammered.

As if I didn't feel bad enough about my bad mood resulting in a squirrel fatality, I looked in the mirror and the poor bastard twitched a few times. Greaaat, now I'm a callous animal killer. Why couldn't the rat have been dithering in the middle of the street...

Just to add the final note of futility to my morning, I couldn't get the bloody file printed after all.

I'm going to get some lunch. I hope you are having a less irritating day, dear reader, and that small animals near you are not mourning the loss of one of their own... Bah!