Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Oddities on the road

An unusual car spotted while en route to the office this morning: I saw a guy driving a right-hand-drive Riley Elf. In white. I don't know what I found more perturbing about this: that he would risk certain death from bastard SUV drivers* (I'm talking to you, Mr. Chevrolet Tahoe driving three inches off the back of my car and nearly smacking into me while executing a TRON-lane-change to go 70 mph in a 50 mph zone), that I could practically hear the thing rusting from the salt on the roads, or that I knew it was a Riley Elf.

Tangentially related (well, car-related): one of the peculiarities of Virginia and Maryland is that they both offer "affinity" license plates so you can pay extra for an inmate to make you up something that declares your tribal affiliations -- e.g., alumnus of a given university, member of Ducks Unlimited, supporter of spaying pets, or anti-abortion activist (these are all real).

Today I saw a truly obscure Maryland plate however: one for the American Bowling Congress. I'll bowl a few frames once a decade or so, but this degree of commitment seems to have led to to the buying of a license plate that says "This can't even be taken as proof that I have given up; I was never trying." But in shorthand.

I'm sure that they were lovely people and that they wouldn't be so rude to a snotty immigrant such as myself.

* Not all SUV drivers are bastards, but some of them should be forced to drive Riley Elves, for all our entertainment.