Monday, December 04, 2006

Where I've been...

Last week was occupied largely by work swinging back and forth between calm and wild panic over the same projects with the same timelines: people just couldn't decide what they wanted and when it was to be finished. I was in a deep funk by mid-week, but subsequently rallied when I remembered that it doesn't really matter all that much, in the grand scheme of things.

And then... On Friday morning - specifically at 4.30 a.m. - R hopped into a taxi and headed off for a flight to San Francisco, for a friend's wedding and to stay with a friend from college. Having my first weekend solo with the kids would have been interesting enough had L not been up sporadically since 2 a.m. puking. (Rr confined herself to waking up at 4.45, screaming for her mother, and then hitting me when I went to calm her down.) Anyway, I was violently ill at about 7, so we were off to a roaring start.

Fortunately we have a sitter who picks the girls up from school on Fridays and entertains them through the afternoon, so as a precautionary measure I held Rr at home and the sitter was kind enough to show up mid-morning and spirit the healthy child away. When R called from her college friend's convertible, en route to an early lunch in sunny California, it was all I could do not to blub. Or shout vile words. Or both.

About the only major error for the rest of the weekend was that I misunderstood and therefore overestimated how long it would be before L could get back on proper food, so by Sunday she was eating everything in site and was bored. Actually, by Sunday both of them were bored, because I was still too poorly to do anything interesting with them in the monrning beyond going to the park, and so they were pretty relieved when we collected R at the airport at 5 on Sunday afternoon. Rr never did get sick, so who knows what was the cause...

I didn't really start to recover until today, at work, where I went not because I couldn't have written / edited at home, but because I had to leave the house or go mad. That's a sad state of affairs in a way, but I was relieved to have somewhere quiet to sit for the day. Writing inane presentations was a small price to pay.