Tuesday, April 25, 2006

house hunting

We looked at several houses over the weekend. For the areas that we're looking in, the general model seems to be a 3 bedroom colonial that's fairly small, and a large yard -- and all the realtors immediately talk about how you can build an addition. No thanks; I think I'd rather just be cramped and done with it. We can always get rid of stuff.

However, we did see one house that I really liked -- a mid-60s modern place, perched on a hill near the C&O canal, surrounded by trees, really light and airy with a good allocation of space over 3 levels. R was willing to overlook the lack of a conventional yard (two decks instead) but the proximity of the neighbours was not to her liking... doesn't matter though because we're not ready to bid on anything. It was nice though.

Then I had our search put in a kind of perspective when I dropped Leah off at a party for one of her classmates at nursery school... let's just say this "house" would probably cost between 3 and 4 times our maximum bidding price, and leave it at that. Frankly I already feel ridiculously overprivileged so I couldn't imagine having that kind of life. Given a big enough lottery win though, I'd certainly be willing to give it a go.