Sunday, April 09, 2006

arguing, housing

Apparently I've been spending too much time yelling at L, or so R says. It could be, partly because we are so alike that she's very good at annoying me. Sometimes it's deliberate, sometimes not, and I do know that some of the things I dislike about myself are things that, from her, make me angry. I wasn't about to admit this to R, but I can see how my low-level self-loathing could easily combine with my impatience to make life unpleasant for someone who, bright as she is, is only three.

So I tried taking a deep breath today, and only intervened when it mattered, and lo and behold all was well. There's some irony in my being a better parent for being less "vigilant" - R would say nuts, but what does she know?

On an unrelated note, we took a look at a couple of houses today. They were both fine -- actually that's not true, one was great, but we lurched in there not realizing that it was $40,000 over our budget and before we lurched out we had become very impressed. Dumb-asses. Still, more places are coming on the market, which is nice, but the impending increase in interest rates doesn't seem to be dampening prices. Have these people never studied microeconomics?

What else... the weather was crap yesterday but we needed the rain badly; things are much greener all of a sudden. As one of R's old friends, a science teacher in the Bay Area, would say: "Think of the mitosis!" It was much nicer today, at any rate.

I made the mistake of dropping off my new laptop with the deskside support IT guys on Friday in the early afternoon. All they had to do was migrate the archived Outlook email because I could not, for the life of me, work out how to do same. Instead, they did bugger all and then left for the day without asking me if I needed the damn thing over the weekend. On the one hand, that's good, because it saved me from working this weekend -- but I would have liked to make the decision for myself. R was so pleased that I couldn't work that I suspect that she will be trying to find ways to get my laptop confiscated every Friday.

Perhaps I should go and take out the trash, and get my sorry self off to bed...